Death by Chocolate Cupcake
I don’t think I’ve ever had a better chocolate cupcake. Amazing. This cupcake was so good I was almost rendered speechless. I was browsing through food blogs trying to find the perfect recipe to christen Jazz with (not that I had to worry since I baked three different recipes yesterday) and happened across this chocolate cupcake recipe on Baking Bites. I was also trying to find something to test before I had to make it for Sol to take to his work party next week – these are perfect.
I will post the recipe here for your convenience.
I’ve never made cupcakes with sour cream before. Whoever thought of that was a genius – these cupcakes were so moist and not overly sweet. The icing was perfect, not too sugary – so smooth. And, for those people who are anti-coffee, don’t worry – you can’t even taste the coffee. The coffee just enhances the chocolate flavor of the cupcakes. The recipe makes 24, seemingly enough to feed an army!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 cup coffee, room temperature
(or use water with 1 tbsp inst. coffee dissolved in it)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour and cocoa powder. Whisk in sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream and coffee. Add to dry ingredients and stir until well combined and no streaks of flour remain visible. Stir in mini chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes on a wire rack completely before frosting
Milk Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
6-oz milk chocolate
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 – 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Melt together chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, or until close to room temperature, then stir in the sour cream, salt and vanilla extract.
- When smooth, blend in (with an electric mixer) about 1 cup confectioners’ sugar. Gradually add in remaining confectioners’ sugar until a smooth, spreadable consistency is reached.