Quinoa Week: Cranberry chocolate chip quinoa muffins
Mmmm…I adapted these babies from Lemons and Anchovies’ original. She has good stuff – be sure to check it out! The original recipe called for apples and pecans. I didn’t have either of those so cranberries it was! So, I wanted to make a batch of cranberry quinoa muffins and a batch of chocolate chip. Well, I was a bit tired that night and ended up having to throw everything back into the same bowl. Viola! Cranberry chocolate chip quinoa muffins! It was actually just right with the two together – the cranberries added a bright pop to the taste and the chocolate added mellow tones. Plus, these were great as a snack because they were so filling and tasty! Not too sweet, but just sweet enough! The texture reminded me of a mix between cornmeal muffins and wheat bran muffins – that healthy feel. A thought from Lemon and Anchovies (one that I obviously played upon) was that you could use this as a base for so many different taste combinations! Instead of cranberries and chocolate chips, you can choose whatever you’d like! 😀 Have fun and enjoy!
What you need:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2/3 cup skim milk
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a 12-muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking soda in a large bowl then stir in the cooked quinoa.
- In a separate bowl combine the oil, milk and egg then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the cranberries and chocolate chips and spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving.